Saturday, May 9, 2009

I made it!

It's Saturday at 11 am here and I'm sitting in an internet cafe. We arrived in Lugazi at 11 pm last night after thirty some odd hours of travel. The house we're staying in is amazing with five bedrooms and multiple balconies! We currently don't have running water so we've been using the outhouse (aka a small room with nothing but a whole in the ground). So that's been fun. Behind the house there's this huge basin that collects the rain water and I used it last night to take a shower, in my swimsuit, under the moon light. The water wasn't half bad and it felt soo good after the long two days of travel. One of my suitcases didn't make it last night and I'm really hoping it comes today so I can sleep on some sheets with a pillow tonight, but if not oh well!
I woke up this morning around seven when the sun cam through our balcony windows. We had PB & J's and a fruit similar to a banana only a thousand times better. After meeting up this morning we were sent on a scavenger hunt to learn where the essentials are in town. We went to the bank, the open air market, and now the internet cafe. I guess you could say we cheated because we met one of the locals named Ivan and he's been showing us around.
The weather here is perfect. In the evenings it cools down to about 65 and today is feels likes its probably in the upper 70s. The sun was shinning until about five minutes ago when it started pouring rain. Well my times almost up and we're meeting up at 12 at a place called African Paradise to eat our very first Rolex for lunch. I love you all! XOXO

2 comments:

Dennis and Kristin Gillespie said...

It was so awesome to hear about your first full day in Uganda! It sounds like you are settling in and getting used to it already. We will be praying that your sheets and pillow arrive soon! Love you!

Goose said...

Thank goodness! You made it! :) I am sure you are having a blast...but I already miss you. (Yes, I know I haven't seen you in several months but you know...) Anywho...Rolex for lunch?

I love you and am praying for you!

Have fun!