Wednesday, May 20, 2009

An Outbreak at the Muzungu House

Sunday night we had a small outbreak in our house. Nine of the 28 volunteers, I being one of them, got sick within hours of each other. We're still not quite sure what it was and had I not been one of the sick ones I would've busted out some of Epidemiological skills and tried to figure out the source. My best guess is that it was the dinner that we all ate Sunday night. Typically, the bacteria that cause food poisoning flourish in foods that contain high amounts of protein, mainly meat or dairy. We never eat meat or dairy here, so who knows. The sad thing is that our cook makes basically the same thing every night, which is what the nine of us spent the past few days throwing up. Dinner will probably never be the same again. Other than that, we're all doing much better and we're all out of bed now and we even walked all the way in to town today. I'm meeting with some some college students from Kampala to discuss HIV/AIDS lesson plans this afternoon for our youth outreach program. I'll let you know how that goes. Sorry I can't seem to get pictures up very easily. The one picture I have on here took an hour to upload, and not all of the computers have working USB drives. I'll keep trying though. Please please don't worry about me and the other sick interns, we're really doing much better and hopefully that will be the only outbreak among our little Muzungu clan. I love you all!

1 comment:

TORIRUTH said...

hope youre feeling better! can you tell ivan hello for me! and were you able to give jefferson the stuff for mamtoto?? keep loving lugazi! Its the best place in the world! (fiji rocks too) :)